Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Sky is Falling ...

My parents told me that from a very early age they had suspicions that I might be inclined toward science.

The evidence they gave was that when I was a toddler playing in the front yard  of our northern California house, they witnessed something both amusing and telling. As typical for California summers, it had not rained from late May to the middle of October. I was playing in the front yard and they observed my astonishment and concern when water started falling out of the sky  (It was a very light rain and my parents made no motion toward the house.) Instead, they observed my reaction to the rain. After an initial moment of shock, I toddled into the back yard and then into the house and informed my older siblings with some trepidation that "water was falling from the sky all over." 

My parents were amused that, despite my obvious concern, before I went into the house I checked the locality of the phenomenon and discovered that it was occurring all over the known world. From this they concluded that my curiosity exceeded my fear and my curiosity might incline me toward science. (They reported that when  my older sister told me that "it was just rain," I was no longer terrified.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment